Saturday, April 19, 2008

Here, have a neat gadget

Just some mindless link propogation for the day. I recently stumbled over this link from the Beeb:

A stroll around the ancient city of Pompeii will be made possible this week thanks to an omni-directional treadmill developed by European researchers.

The treadmill is a "motion platform" which gives the impression of "natural walking" in any direction.

The platform, called CyberCarpet, is made up of several belts which form an endless plane along two axes.

Scientists have combined the platform with a tracking system and virtual reality software recreating Pompeii.


The bulk of what I have to say about this one is "Cool!" coupled with a big list of other places I'd like to see something like this used with, so I think I'll leave it at that for now.

No comments: